BOOKS

Find me at

To contact me about manuscript editing, talking to your group about writing or self-publishing, my email address is kathyfearing@yahoo.com.


Monday, November 14, 2016

Our Country, Women, and the Presidency

A bitter, contentious, angry presidential race has ended, and I am saddened but not surprised by the outcome. I had hoped that I would one day see a strong, capable, smart woman lead this country, a woman with brains, intellect and savvy who young women, girls, boys, and, yes, even men could look to with pride and confidence. I am saddened, yes, by the outcome, but saddened even more by the rhetoric used to achieve this outcome. I am saddened by the denigration of women that is overlooked and accepted, not only in this country, but around the world. I am amazed, also, at the women who listen to such garbage and say or do nothing to stop it. Taking the attitude that this type of behavior is acceptable only encourages others to perpetuate it and increase the injury to women and girls. This type of casual, passive-aggressive behavior toward women is unacceptable. And I believe this verbal battery of women should be met with opposition at every instance. I was so proud of Hillary Clinton when she stood at that microphone before the world and said she was "sorry" that she did not achieve her goal. She could have said so much more. But to her credit she encouraged women to keep the goal of one day leading this country in their hearts, to believe that leadership can be achieved and should not be abandoned. I don't know if I could have done the same. I admire her courage, her stamina, her will to keep going. As a writer I will continue to encourage girls to aim high, to have a goal, and to keep going until it is achieved. I wish I could do more, but writing is what I do, and so I will keep writing.

1 comment: